Annals of Landmark Events

Right from the onset the School had been set for glory and molded for greatness and monumental achievements were recorded thereon 

Year on Year Landmark Events


  • Establishment of Offa Community Grammar School - by Offa Descendants Union ( making it the oldest Community Secondary School in the then Northern Nigeria, and the first full-fledged Secondary School in the then Ilorin Province). Later named "Offa Grammar School" (O.G.S. for short).
  • Appointment of Mr. Solomon O. Ajayi - (a prodigious and enthusiastic teacher and Zonal Secretary of N.U.T) as the pioneer Principal.
  • Accommodation of the new school (OGS) within the premises of Iyeru Okin African Church, Offa.
  • Acquisition of the permanent site for the school through the personal efforts of the then reigning Oba - Oba Wuraola Isioye - a man of vision and proven integrity.
  • Appointment of Rev. R. N. Ludlow as the first chairman of the Board of Governors. Other members being Mr. J. A. Oyeleke. Mr. J. O. S. Onawola, Mr. John Oyediran, Alhaji Sanni Giwa, Alhaji Gbadamosi Ijaiya, Mr. Samuel Adesiyun, Alhaji Bello Jatto, Mr. John Opaleke, Alhaji Aliu Olatinwo and Mr. I. David Ogunwumi - they all gave their all to ensure that OGS was put on a sound footing.
  • Admission of the foundation students - Johnson Adegoke, Bamidele Fafemi, Olagunju Kolawole, Olarinoye Omirinde, Olagunju Ajiboye, Salami Olatunde, Saliu Olatunde, Albert Adetoro, Jimoh Oyawoye, Joseph Asa, Godwin Johnson, Emmanuel Jenyo, Samuel Ogunsola, Samuel Odewale, Jacob Banwo, Mustapha Awoyemi, Muritala Olatunde & Peter Alabi.
  • Late Mr. J. A. Oyeleke (a famous Headmaster) suggested what became the school motto - LABOR OMNIA VINCIT (Latin), meaning PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES EVERYTHING.


  • Construction of structures at the permanent site began - part of the U-shaped building (the popular Assembly Quadrangle). It is the oldest building in O.G.S.


  • Appointment of Rev. J. B. Olafimihan - a disciplinarian and one of the prominent members of Offa Descendants Union - as the new Principal. He was nicknamed "Jacob" (i.e. Janitor, give me a branch of Casia) for flogging erring students no matter who their parents were.
  • More students were admitted into OGS from Offa and its environs - Ijagbo, Ipee, Igosun and Erin-Ile etc.


  • The Thornsburn Upgrading Inspection Exercise took place. An outstanding success was recorded.(Footnote - Mr. Thornsburn was a British Education Official assigned to inspect the School with the purpose of terminating its existence or encouraging it.)
  • Staging of the first Inter-house Sports Athletics Competition.
  • Movement of the School from the Iyeru-Okin African Church premises to its permanent site in the adjourning plot.
  • The first set of OGS students graduated after obtaining Government Class IV Certificates (or Junior Cambridge School Certificate). Some OGS Students proceeded to older schools where they completed their secondary education. A clear example was Mr. Jimoh Oyawoye (now Professor M. O Oyawoye)
  • Mr. S. O. Ajayi (Foundation Principal) left OGS for United Kingdom.


  • Change of personnel as Late Pa JA. Osanyin (perhaps the first University Graduate from Ijebu-Jesha) took over as Principal from Late Rev. J. B. Olafimihan.
  • Passing with flying colours of the Upgrading Inspection (the second one) which resulted in the School having students in Secondary Class Five for the first time in January 1950.


  • OGS began to receive grants from the Regional Government of Northern Nigeria (Kaduna) for payment of staff salaries and construction of some permanent structures.
  • Institution of the OGS scholarship scheme to encourage or assist the best students from Offa or its environs. It was later extended to students from outside Offa. Early beneficiaries of such scholarship awards were Mr. E. O. Onifade, Mr. S. A. Adebiyi etc and later non-Offa Indigene Student - Prince D. A. O. Abegunde.


  • Entering of seven OGS Students for the Last London Matriculation Examinations held in Nigeria (June 1951).
  •  Registering of the first set of students of OGS for the Senior Cambridge School Certificate Examinations at the Ilesha Centre (Dec. 1951).
  • The following students were registered for (b) above - Adebiyi S. A, Adekanola  P. A., Adetoyinbo G. A., Afolayan E. O., Ajagbe E. O., Alalade O.I., Bede S. O., Dare J. K., Esan J. A., Fadiji I. A., Gbalajobi O. A., Okobi C. E., Olukanmi L O., Onifade E. O., Oyeleke Y. A., Oyelola J. A., Oyeyemi Y. F., Oyewole S. O., Sofoluwe F. O., and Tolani N. D.
  • Mr. Yunusa Folorunsho Oyeyemi (now a man of mark in school and Public Administration) obtained Division One in (b) above.


  • Mr. Oyawoye S. O. (now a renowned Medical Doctor) passed his senior Cambridge School Certificate Examinations in Form 5 (instead of 6, that is a year earlier) - evidence of J. A. Osanyin's policy encouraging brilliant students.


  • Movement of Boarding House from rented quarters in the town to its permanent structures in the OGS compound.


  • Replacement of plank beds with Iron ones


  • With the School recording 100% success in West African School Certificate Examinations more grants were provided by the Govt to the envy of other schools in the North. The list of the students who performed such a scholastic feat include W.O Nasiru (who led the class with aggregate 10 thereby setting an academic record that took 16 years to shatter), Ademuyiwa A. Adeyokun, Ayantayo Ayandele, Emmanuel A. Olagoke, Hamzat O. Ijaiya, Adeyemi I. Jatto, Solomon A. Otegbola, John O. Olowokure, Olarinoye Ogungboye, Micheal O. Olaitan, Emmanuel S. Ajayi, Benjamin B. Elesin, David A. Oyedokun, Isaiah A. Bilewu, Daniel B. Aloba, Sunday O. Kuponson, Muibi M. Adedosu, Samuel D. Ojo, John O. Adegbile, Ephraim O. Oguntona, Adebayo O. Osanyin, Oladele Olashore
  • The building of Science Laboratories - Biology, Chemistry and thearrival ofMr. Marshall - the legendary General Science Master.
  • Introduction of General Science in the school curricula
  • The Premier of the Northern Region, Alh. Amadu Bello, paid a courtesy visit to the school.


  • End of 6-year Secondary Education Programme in O.G. S. Forms 5 and6 students sat for the same West African School Certificate Examinations.
  • A small Hall named OYELEKE HALL (after late Mr. J. A. Oyeleke) was officially commissioned by the smallest boy in form one - Samuel Bisi Abikoye.


  • Late Mr. Fortunatus O. Shofoluwe founded the Offa Grammar School Old Boys Association (later Offa Grammar School Old Students' Association) thus becoming the foundation National President of OGSOSA.
  • Students-versus-students riot erupted in the school involving final year students. It affected negatively the performance of the set in WASCE.


  • Mr. Y. F. Oyeyemi (1951 set) was appointed the Vice - principal of O.G.S., the first old student to be so appointed.
  • Minor riot broke out over the quality of bread being supplied by Alafia Bakery, Offa to the School .
  • Nigeria's Independence from colonial rule was celebrated with great fanfare.


  • The great architect of OGSOSA, Mr. F.O Shofoluwe, was lost to death.
  • Admission of female students into Offa Grammar School; they were Mulikat Oyebode, Ayoola Adevemi, Cathrine Ogunoye (a great Athlete), Shade Balogun, Mulikat Lawal, Musili Ajeigbe, Tope Shonowo, Funmilayo Fafemi, Josephine Fakeye, Deborah Gabriel, Ibidun Osanyintolu, Rachel Adetumobi and Sona Briggs. Footnote - This marked the beginning of co-education in OGS.


  • Rev. R. N Ludlow - a long-lasting friend of OGS - paid a flying visit to the School and took group photograph with the members of the house named after him (Mr. Odeniyi Moses was the House Captain).
  • O.G.S won the zonal trophy for coming first in 9 of the 15 events in the zonal Athletics meet (South West Zone).


  • Mr. Olu Aderemi Fatoke became the Northern Secondary Schools' High Jump champion after clearing over six feet (Kaduna 1963).

OGS Principals Over The Years

Mr S.O. Ajayi.
The pioneer Principal.
Mr. Ajayi was Principal from 1943 through 44.

Rev. Olafimihan

Rev J.B. Olafimihan.
The late Rev J.B. Olafimihan followed Mr. Ajayi as Principal and served from 1945-49.

Chief J.A. Osanyin
The late Chief J.A. Osanyin who stepped-in in 1949 was, to date, the longest serving Principal (1949-66).

Mr. Adelowo

Mr I.A. Adelowo
Mr I.A. Adelowo took over from Mr. Osanyin and was Principal for approximately a decade (1967 -1976).

Mr. Masir

Mr W.O. Nasiru
Following Mr. Adelowo as Principal was Mr W.O. Nasiru. Mr. Nasiru was the first and (so far) the only almnus Principal (1976-79).

Alhaji Kanmi Arowosaiye
Following Mr. Nasiru was Alhaji Kanmi Arowosaiye. He was Principal from 1979 to 1993.

Mr. Joe Ajala

Alhaji R.O. Ajala
Alhaji R.O. Ajala is the current Principal. He took over as Principal in 1993.

The Early Years

The establishment of Offa Grammar School and the subsequent steady developments can be credited to the thoughtfulness, resourcefulness and the relentless efforts of the Offa Descendants Union (ODU). In those days of the colonial era, Offa was small, and could almost pass for a rural town except for the presence of the Nigerian Railway Corporation and some Missionary churches with their primary schools. The idea of starting a Community Secondary School in that part of the country was therefore a rather novel experience.

The establishment of Offa Grammar School and the subsequent steady developments can be credited to the thoughtfulness, resourcefulness and the relentless efforts of the Offa Descendants Union (ODU). In those days of the colonial era, Offa was small, and could almost pass for a rural town except for the presence of the Nigerian Railway Corporation and some Missionary churches with their primary schools. The idea of starting a Community Secondary School in that part of the country was therefore a rather novel experience.

Between 1935 and 1938 Offa indigenes in Lagos formed a socio-cultural body which later transformed into ODU. This became the mouthpiece and often the motivating soul of the enthusiastic people of Offa. In 1940, a successful and epoch making Education Week organised to raise fund for a Community-owned Secondary School in Offa led to the constitution of a working committee, which became the engine room of the efforts that brought the dream to fruition. Therefore when the school commenced in 1943, it was not surprising that the committee transformed into its first Board of Governors.


The committee was headed by Reverend RN Ludlow(a Methodist Missionary) and had as members
  • Mr JA Oyeleke, Mr JOS Onawola
  • Mr John Oyediran
  • Alhaji Sanni Giwa
  • Alhaji Gbadamosi Ijaiya
  • Mr Samuel Adesiyun
  • Alhaji Bello Jatto
  • Mr John Opaleke
  • Alhaji Aliu Latinwo and
  • Mr David Ogunwumi.


The Iyeru-Okin African Church building and premises came in handy for use of the young school, and the initial instructional materials were provided for from the generosity of the trader-members of ODU. School furniture, uniform and logo and motto were in no time designed, and on the morning of February 2, 1943 the School was formally declared open with only a handful of 8 students reporting. The number swelled by 10 before the end of that year.


The eighteen foundation students were:
  • Johnson Adegoke
  • Bamidele Fafemi
  • Olagunju Kolawole
  • Olarinoye Omirinde
  • Olagunju Ajiboye
  • Salami Olatunde
  • Salau Olatunde
  • Albert Adetoro
  • Jimoh Oyawoye
  • Joseph Asa
  • Godwin Johnson
  • Emmanuel Jenyo
  • Samuel Ogunsola
  • Samuel Odewole
  • Jacob Banwo
  • Mustapha Awoyemi
  • Muritala Olatunde and
  • Peter Alabi.

The school was conceptualized by certain indigenes of Offa who way back in the late 1930s had seen education for the people of Offa as a vehicle for development. Their drive was given impetus by the socio- cultural movement of the town, the Offa Descendants Union (ODU).

Rev. Ludlow, first PrincipalThe school was conceptualized by certain indigenes of Offa who way back in the late 1930s had seen education for the people of Offa as a vehicle for development. Their drive was given impetus by the socio- cultural movement of the town, the Offa Descendants Union (ODU).

Largely due to the great effort of Reverend RN Ludlow, a British missionary, the school became established in February 1943, and what was initially a dream was translated into reality.

First set of studentsFrom its early very modest beginning with 18 students (in the picture at right), it has grown vastly in status. The current student enrollment is over 2000.

The school's all round achievement is a reflection of the dedication and industry of the Principals and Staff members the school had been blessed with over the years.

Discipline & Sports in Osanyin Era


Offa Gramrnar School students from the inception of the school have been highly disciplined. And in those days, the boys and girls were among the best disciplined students found in the school system in Nigeria.. The Principal being a highly principled and disciplined person had no difficulty in instilling these qualities in his staff and students alike. He also knew every student by his or her first name, and as such it was easy for him to identify who was doing what. Under Mr Osanyin, it was very easy to produce academically sound students and disciplined citizens. He frowned at the few cases of indiscipline that came to his attention, and took drastic measures to curb them. He didn't spare mischief- and noise-makers, truants, gossips, loafers during prep classes etc. A review of the logbook kept "religiously" by him showed the cases of students' indiscipline during his tenure and the punishments meted out.


Students were allowed to participate in recreational activities and excursions under the auspices of recognized school clubs albeit in moderation.


As a very good sportsman himself who once represented St. Andrew's College, Oyo in inter-college competitions as a high-jumper, Mr Osanyin encouraged sports by dividing the students into 'house" groups to allow for healthy competitions. The boys were engaged in football matches with other Secondary Schools such as Ogbornosho Grammar School, llesha Grammar School and Government College Ilorin. As the sporting facilities improved, the school started to participate in the inter collegiate competitions organised in Kaduna. It was at such meetings that Sanusi Olagunju alias "skipper Wale" emerged as the champion in one of the long distance races in the fifties. Faweya was a great short-distance runner – 100 to 400 yards. For 880 yards and the mile, Afolabi Olawoye was the champion. Fatoke became the High Jumper for the Northern Region in 1963. By the 50s through the 60s therefore, the school had already become a force to reckon with in sports. The school's football team also recorded victory at most of their outings. In 1963, the team defeated almost all teams they met, as shown below from the records:

OGS Versus Result Remarks
Titcornbe College, Egbe 1-0 Won
St. Augustine, Kabba 2-0 Won
Old Boys 4-1 Won
Offa Town XI 5-1 Won
Ogbomosho Grammar School 5-1 Won

With the solid foundation for good sports already laid under Principal Osanyin, the school continued to record victory at sporting events even under the successive headship of Mr. Adelowo through to Mr Arowosaiye.

Admission Policy - Osanyin Era

Before the arrival of Mr. Osanyin, the admission policy of the school reflected "national character", but based on merit. In fact, right from year 1 in 1943, the admission of students had never been localised to Offa alone. Pupils from far and wide were admitted. This admission policy was given more prominence under Mr. Osanyin. He sought and got permission from Ilorin Provincial Education Office to extend his catchment areas to the old Kabba, Oyo, and Ekiti Provinces. In spite of this, only one stream was maintained until 1953 when two streams were introduced. The students were usually admitted through a standard entrance examination.

Many Igbo boys and other non-Yoruba, whose parents worked at the Nigerian Railway Corporation and other Federal Parastatals, e.g., P&T were admitted. This gave the school a "Federal Charaeter", e.g. Ojeahare Stephen (mid Western Region), Coker Olugbemi Olalekan (Western Region), Oyanoye Isaiah Agboola (Northern Region) and Mgbatogu Clement Chuks (Eastern Region) were all in the 1964 set.

In 1961, the Offa Descendants Union - the mouth piece of Offa indigenes - suggested that the Principal should admit girls to the school - thus making it co-educational. He accepted, but that meant additional administrative problems for him, such as separate accommodation for the girls, moderated and disciplined interaction between male and female students, and employing the services of a competent house matron, etc. Mr. Osanyin solved all these problems wonderfully well and with Military precision. He admitted twelve girls into Form 1 in that year to give effect to an introduction of a co-educational system in the school.

Bosede Fakeye, a pioneer female student, in a narration recalled the experience of part of their first day in school thus "time for evening meal came, and the mistress asked us to take our cutlery and go to the dining hall for our meal. We went half-way and came back again, for we could not enter the hall, as we were shy. When we finally did, we were too shy to eat. The twelve of us went back to our dormitory without even opening our dishes"!

Buildings & Facilities


Mr. J.A. Osanyin met only one uncompleted building at OGS. He not only completed it, but erected several others. The layout of the compound and the design of the buildings were done under his supervision. Money for the building was raised through school fees, grants from ODU and the Regional Government. He once recalled that, a 'special grant' of £20,000.00 was given to the school by the Regional Government to erect four buildings, namely: the Principal's Office, Assembly Hall, Staff Quarters, and a block of classrooms'. It was to his credit, however, that the grant was spread to cover the cost of a few additional buildings including the Principal's House and two dormitories. Because of this prudence, it was not too difficult for him to get additional £10,000 when he requested for more money to complete all the projects. This enabled all the boarding students to move from their rented apartments into the school compound in 1956. The hostels and the Assembly Hall were named after Olofa of Offa, Mr Ajayi, Rev Ludlow and Rev Wilberforce (who fought for the abolition of the slave trade). The school was beautifully landscaped and adorned with flowers and shrubs.

Before 1956, apart from Mathematics and Geography, only arts subjects of various awkward combinations were taught. This changed with the building of science laboratories, and with Messrs FK Marshall and JF Faluyi taking charge of teaching of science subjects of Chemistry, Biology and Physics.

The physical structure and academic pursuit of the school were boosted in 1965 when a library well- stocked, with over 3000 books, was opened. In the same year a dual-purpose wood/metal workshop was also built.

Back to Academics in Osanyin Era, Jump to Sports in Osanyin Era

Academic Excellence Under Osanyin

Principal OsanyinRight from the onset the school had been having excellent results from external examinations. Both the teachers and students have always been noted to work hard. Mr. Osaryin "a born teacher and administrator" made it possible to have all the needed affordable facilities, and he provided a conducive atmosphere for teaching and effective learning. Professor M.D. Oyawoye, one of the pioneer students, rernarked that even before the arrival of Osanyin, the standard in the School could be favourably compared with those of Govemment College, Ibadan. However, the arrival of Osanyin enhanced the quality of performance of the school.

Since 1951 in particular, the academic performance of the students became high, and this climaxed in 1956 when all the students registered for the West African School Certificate Examinations (WASCE) passed, thus recording the first 100% success in WASCE. In 1957, forms 5 & 6 were merged to sit for the WASC, thus ending the six-year programme for the WASC examination. Throughout Mr. Osanyin's tenure as Principal, the performance of the school at the WASCE was all the way very impressive.

Mr. Abioye Oyeleke recalled how Mr. Osanyin overcame the school's shortfall in qualified teachers through the enlisting of the services of undergraduates from the then University College of Ibadan during their long vacation. Among the undergraduates were Mr, (now Prof) Olumuyiwa Awe who taught Physics, Mr. (now Dr.) MO Omolayole (Mathematics); and Mr. O Olumide (Geography and Physical Education).

Go to: Admission under Osanyin, Physical development under Osanyin